FW: RFC 2418 update

FYI -- Feedback on the RFC 2418 updates.

Margaret

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Mpierce1@aol.com [mailto:Mpierce1@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 5:15 PM
To: Wasserman Margaret (NRC/Boston)
Subject: RFC 2418 update

Margaret,

Thanks for taking the time to propose solutions to the current IETF problems. However, I do not believe that any solution should include "increase the authority of Working Group Chairs".

I believe that the clear message from the Problems statement was that many thinkg that there is alraeady too much authority vested in a small group of people. Increasing that authority does not help to get others to actively participate.

I have participated in many other standards bodies and industry forums. The general rule in all of them was that the chair does not have any decision-making authority. Their job it to organize the work, run the meeting, and report on the results. Often this includes making a judgement of whether or not consensus was reached. It did not include the right to "refuse to advance new work". The chair's job is to ask the group if it thinks that some work should be advanced and to report the decision of the group.

I believe that increasing the authority of chairs will cause even less interest in participation by "new-comers" like myself (only 11 meetings under my belt). I know that the current "authority" has already discouraged me.

Mike Pierce
Artel