[ipfix] HP Patents and IPFIX

just a warning

From: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com>
To: "'ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu'" <ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu>
Subject: [ipfix] HP Patents and IPFIX
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:33:30 -0800

Hi,

  It was recently brought to my attention that HP Patent #5,430,709 appears
to relate to some of the subject matter discussed in the IPFIX Architecture
Draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-arch-02.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-arch-02.txt>

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=5430709
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=5430709>

  I have asked for clarification from HP attorneys regarding assignment of
Intellectual Property as it relates to this standards activity, but don't
have any position at the moment.  I will update you as I learn more.

  At this point, I'm simply letting the group know of the existence of this
patent, and its apparent relationship to sections 5.1.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.3 of
the current architecture draft.

Regards,

  Jeff "not an attorney, and don't play one on TV" Meyer