Re: v6ops and v6 connectivity deployment model

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> for getting to the teredo relays from ipv6.... isn't this the business
> of ordinary routing protocols? figuring out which routes to inject
> (apart from anycasting the /16) could be hard, though. for getting to
> the teredo relays from the teredo users - if the teredo docs don't
> answer that, they're seriously flawed....

Yes, in both cases.

I guess the issues are pretty similar as with 6to4 deployments.  Who would
want to provide such service?  When you use 6to4 from the IETF, it goes to
Switzerland.  The bottom line is that v6 between native and Teredo is
likely to be really, really crappy, unless a large number of Teredo relays
is deployed.

As stated, Microsoft avoids this particular problem by deploying and
enabling Teredo in every node, thus ignoring any "minor" interop problems
w/ native v6 and Teredo.  Might make sense, might not.  But the fact is
that it needs to be enabled for about the next 10-15 years, it'll be
difficult to retire it..

I guess the issue is more of a model on who has to "support" a transition
mechanism to make it operate properly, those who deploy the transition
mechanism or everyone else.