RE: RADEXT Milestone revisions

Hannes Tschofenig writes...

> i know about these activites. i wasn't quite sure how it effects the
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-radext-wlan-01.txt
> document.

There are two proposals that deal with key management and distribution
via RADIUS, Bernard's draft and a draft from Glen Zorn.  These were
discussed in more depth at IETF 63.

I'll let Bernard address your specific questions on his WLAN draft.

> where do you see the main benefit of the document split with regard to
> meeting the deadlines?

First, there are some elements of each of the drafts selected for spilt
that are well-baked, and close to ready for WGLC or submission to IESG.
There are other elements which have open issues, that will require some
time to work though.  Separating the issues allows the well-baked
portions to progress immediately.

> maybe because you want to see new document editors?

If additional parallelism of effort and a spreading of workload can be
achieved, so as to further accelerate the work progress, that would be a
side benefit.  It is not clear that we will have additional editors for
each of the "child" documents.

All of this is a pretty straightforward application engineering project
management techniques.  The fact of the matter is that the RADEXT WG is
way late in some of its deliverables, and the chairs have prepared a
"get well" plan, at the request of the ADs.  The document splits are one
element of this plan.