RE: Diameter compatibility of VLAN-00

I agree, but does 4072 say anything about future
RADIUS attributes?  I don't see this in section 5,
but I'll have to look again at section 6.

That should probably be in RFC 4005, since that deals with RADIUS/Diameter gateways.

Certainly hope not, or we don't have a very extensible
framework.  :-)

While RFC 3588 indicates that a new application ID is not required to add optional attributes to Diameter, addition of mandatory attributes do require a new application ID. This has proven to be something of a problem since there have been quite a few occasions where it has been necessary to add new attributes and allocating a new application ID ever time is not convenient. As a result, I'm not entirely clear that the VLAN attributes can be added to Diameter EAP or NASREQ without allocation of an application ID, although that hardly seems logical.