RE: New Technical Issues RE: WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> supposedly scribbled:

> I would have thought that 4096 was quite generous, but I lack recent
> operational experience.  So I appeal to the group:  What's the
> largest RADIUS message that's been seen in the wild?  Are we anywhere
> close to being constrained by the 4096 limit, which we agree cannot
> be changed?

I wouldn't bring it up were it not the case.  In fact, at this very moment I am tasked w/trying to figure out how to send messages larger than the RADIUS limit (easy in Diameter, possibly impossible in RADIUS) in something like a reasonable fashion.  This is just the latest case:  IIRC, one of the major goals of the original RADIUS v2 (nee Diameter) effort was to get rid of the 4096 limit.  That was a _long_ time ago...

> I would also point out that we are not suggesting that all future
> RADIUS attributes use the Diameter format.  Only those that need more
> than 253 bytes, use a Diameter data type (including Grouped), or have
> type number greater than 255 would need to do so.
>
> Regards,
> Barney

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel