Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Please pardon my lateness ...

On 2/19/08 11:11 AM, Noel Chiappa allegedly wrote:
As a more general comment, I don't think we're going to be able to
predict accurately the performance of this kind of system (especially
if it makes heavy use of caches, as I think any well-designed system
of the kind ought to), nor the actual problems we are likely to see
in service.

Networking work has a long history of theoretical analyses that
purport to show that approach X won't work - only to find that it
does, in practise. (I am reminded of one series of analyses by a
faculty member at MIT-LCS which 'showed' that contention networks
such as Ethernet wouldn't work 'well' in high-load situations, which
were a factor in the decision to work on token rings at MIT.
Ethernet, as we all know, does work quite well in practise, because
they basically never operate for long in those high-load regions.)

So I think probably the best thing to do is prototype a system, and
try it and see what happens.

Thanks for that. The "delay" question has been hard because useful statistics on connection behavior are rare or confidential and we never know what future scenarios are going to be anyway. So it's been hard to say anything useful. But the IETF is coming, so in the meantime here are a few thoughts:

  - Most traffic is within a region.

  - EIDs will still be allocated by RIRs (or the equivalent) out of
    assigned chunks, so there will be a great deal of contiguousness for
    EIDs within a region.

  - ALT routers for a particular EID prefix will be fate-shared,
    situated in the region where it is predominantly found.

  - Data paths follow a topological hierarchy and the delay issue is one
    of relative differences.

So one can conjecture that for a particular session, *if* there is delay (not yet granted), the likely case is that the session will see far less than the alleged "very long paths". There will be some outliers due to small chunks of EID prefix moving to a completely different region -- I don't think there will be many of those. There will obviously be sessions between regions. For those, at a granularity of a domain, the ALT control path may in fact be the same as, or at least not differ much, from the data path. The relative difference in round-trip time will be small.

That's if there is a delay. The only time the question arises is the first time a site attempts to reach a particular EID prefix, or if it is contacting so many prefixes that it has to do some cache management. We can predict connection/cache behavior for very large and very small sites. If anyone has pointers to data on connection behavior over time for intermediate-size sites, please say so.

This is all extrapolation from the current reality, but at least it tries to be based in how networks work. We should try to get the delay discussion on a solid foundation of fact if possible. Others will be better at that than I.

Scott