Re: Getting NANPA to designate a non-geographic area code?

Mark R.Lindsey wrote:
On May 18, 2004, at 8:30 AM, Chip Sharp wrote:
Some VoIP companies seem to be able to get NANP numbers already.  In  addition, the number subscribers get might or might not have a  relation to their geographic location.

Each telco's tariffs specify local calling areas: a non-geographic VoIP  NPA wouldn't be local to anybody, unless the callED party paid the  charge. Charges for most (all?) of the other non-geographic NPAs are  charged to the callED party.

(see:  http://docs.nanpa.com/cgi-bin/npa_reports/nanpa? function=list_npa_non_geo for a list.)

The most graceful first-step for a non-geographic NPA intended for  special access services would be to charge the callED party for all  calls, like it is with US mobile phones. After all, would you really  want your VoIP phone number to be local to nobody? Even if it's more  expensive than normal DLD?
I guess I"m looking at the glass as half full and saying that a non-geographic area code could be local to EVERYBODY. That's the beauty of it. Ultimately the marketplace could decide what these calls are billed as.

-- MR

Michael Robertson
CEO, Lindows Inc - World's Most Affordable Choice
CEO, SIPphone Inc - Call worldwide for free!

michael@lindows.com
Read the latest Michael's Minute here
SIP: 1 (747) 474-0001   Call me. Visit SIPphone.com to find out how!

--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone