Re: SIP-T and Q.Sig

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 03:32:58PM -0400, Daniel Golding reportedly typed:

> Which services are you offering your clients on the far side of the SBC?

Our existing product offering is a carrier level product that allows
a carrier customer to send a voice call over IP to globalcrossing for
termination to the PSTN, which we then bill them on a per-minute basis.
There are many many other associated products and features in development
that will be available later this year.

> VoIP Transit? Is the SIP signaling sufficient to provide all the
> functionality you want?

So far, but it's still early.  We don't yet have enough operational
experience with these protocols to know for sure.  The one issue that
I pointed out previously with translation of term codes to SIP error
messages is not a problem we have run into operationally because
we don't yet send calls to other carriers via IP.  We are anticipating
the problem, however.

> I guess that I'm wondering what the drivers are for things like SIP-T and
> Q.Sig when used between VoIP domains. If SIP does the trick on its own, are
> these other protocols needed?

I know very little about either of these efforts, so take this with a grain
of salt, but SIP-T may have been to address the lack of specificity of
SIP to the inter-switch carrier voice world, as much as Q.Sig was created
to address a lack of specificity of SIP to the Enterprise Inter-PBX world.

If there were very serious deficiencies, I would think that our carrier
customers would be pounding on us for SIP-T support, but I haven't seen
this.  It must be that SIP is fairly adequate for now...but once the
minutes start to really ramp up, perhaps we will see a need for better
error handling.  My personal preference would be to see SIP improved
to have better error handling, and perhaps the SIP forum could work
on the architecture for mapping SS7 messages to SIP messages in a way
that the proper failure handling could occur.

If Q.Sig was such a big deal, it would have shown up as a development
requirement for our Enterprise VoIP offering, but again, haven't seen
it requested, despite the fact that we're working on managed dial plan
sorts of offerings, that would put us in between a customers PBX's as
they were distributed among different locations.

I would love to hear other people's experiences and perspectives on
SIP-T and Q.Sig...I simply don't have a lot of experience to draw upon.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel                     http://www.siegelie.com/people/dsiegel/
Oro Valley, AZ