Re: SIP-T and Q.Sig

At 12:54 PM -0700 on 6/14/04, Dave Siegel wrote:
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 03:32:58PM -0400, Daniel Golding reportedly typed:
[snip]
 > VoIP Transit? Is the SIP signaling sufficient to provide all the
functionality you want?

So far, but it's still early. We don't yet have enough operational experience with these protocols to know for sure. The one issue that I pointed out previously with translation of term codes to SIP error messages is not a problem we have run into operationally because we don't yet send calls to other carriers via IP. We are anticipating the problem, however.
[snip]

Do you have opinions on RFC3398 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3398.txt) in it's method of addressing these mappings? Do you see this as a reasonable translation? Or was that what you meant when you described the 3 different term codes all mapping to "404 Not Found"?

RFC3398 may not be "complete" as it seems to only specify ISDN cause codes, and I am blissfully un-aware of what more hideous and complex messages may reside inside of SS7. I'd be interested in hearing any other comments on this topic, since the mismatch between ISUP and SIP sometimes causes minor un-smoothness (but I have not yet had it be a "problem" - merely an inconvenience.)

To address Dan's more broad question of:

 When connecting different vendor's softswitches together, what is the common
 signaling now? Q.sig? IAX2?

I agree with Dave's comment about IAX2 being a toy protocol right now in that it's not taken seriously, and anything that isn't used by the adults (ILEC/CLEC/IXC) is considered a toy. The spec needs some work. However, protocols like that sometimes grow legs in the strangest ways when enough end users and small enterprises start to advocate it's use. An attempt at an RFC draft might be under way this fall by several interested parties.

The protocol used by the carriers I've now dealt with has been SIP, and SIP has been sufficient for my signalling requirements. (note: my use of SIP auto-excludes H.323 carriers, even though that may actually be more widespread for the moment.) There are no special tricks or routing protocols, as I've said - all the routes I've programmed have been pre-loaded from CSV or Excel spreadsheets (or worse) and the call control is handled by "plain vanilla" SIP. I anxiously await TLS on all the softswitches, but I'm not holding my breath for the vendors there (<cough>BGPMD5<cough>).

JT