Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

I've heard this a few times in the past few weeks:
	"Sorry, my vonage phone is breaking up. Can you repeat that?"

Many of the folks that I talk to who are using un-prioritized bandwidth into their homes/small businesses frequently have problems. These are DSL and Cable users.

The cheap end-user equipment could easily have ready support for voice prioritization. E.g., the D-link DVG-1120 specs say that "Voice service is prioritized over the data traffic"
(http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=169&rid=652)

DSL and Cable IP providers could do something similarly simplistic that would go a long way on the bottleneck links; e.g., prioritize UDP higher than TCP.

"Headroom" on high-capacity links is *probably* primarily because the typical bottleneck link sizes between users and their servers is so small. Most of my downloads from popular servers max out <400kbps, even though I have a lightly-loaded 18Mbps link into my office that's barely used. Something out there is traffic-shaping the download, or else my flow crosses a congested link. In the latter case, unprotected real-time flows across that congested link will have problems.

---
Mark R. Lindsey     Engineers' Consulting Group
Office: 229-244-2099x2207; Mobile: 229-630-5553