Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

> From: Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:59:58 +0000
> To: <voip-peering@psg.com>
> Subject: Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?
>
>> I've heard this a few times in the past few weeks:
>> "Sorry, my vonage phone is breaking up. Can you repeat that?"
>
> yeah, me too.  but as you point out...
>
>> Many of the folks that I talk to who are using un-prioritized
>> bandwidth into their homes/small businesses frequently have
>> problems. These are DSL and Cable users.
>
> ...that's a last mile congestion issue, having nothing to do with
> interprovider-RSVP or any other "hard" problems.  prioritizing the
> traffic at the last mile is "easy" compared to interprovider-RSVP.
>
> if an enduser or enterprise decides to do native voip over a congested
> last-mile link without traffic prioritization, then no amount of
> interprovider-RSVP or "voip peering" will help them.
>
> i'm not saying the problem doesn't exist.  i'm saying there's more than
> one problem, and that the one "in the middle" would be nearly impossible
> to solve -- if it still existed.

EMFBI, but one of the things I've seen in the residential VoIP providers are
very different approaches to service delivery.  For example, AT&T's
CallVantage service requires that their ATA be directly connected to the
cable/DSL modem so that they can prioritize outbound voice traffic ahead of
the user's other traffic.  Any home router or access-point would then
connect to the AT&T ATA.

The other services that I've looked at (Vonage, Packet8) typically have you
plug their ATA into your home router, so unless you are configuring your own
prioritization scheme you may find that your non-Voice traffic is
potentially interfering with your VoIP calls.

This is bound to be an issue for folks that buy VoIP services for use on
home LANs that are being heavily used for file sharing, gaming, streaming
media, etc.

Irwin