Re: last mile prioritization (was Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point? )

On the topic of congestion and the questioned need for prioritization -- Jasleen Kaur's group at UNC-CH is studying the presence of congestion in the Internet. It turns out to be non-trivial to find it.

If we isolate the congestion to places that our RTP doesn't transit, then we're done . . . as long as our offered loads grow similarly to the growth of available bandwidth. Just because we have enough bandwidth and consistently-low delay on today's Internet doesn't mean we'll have it next year. If, over time, we do have congestion problems at significant points in the Internet, then we probably can't ignore it.

A related question, though -- if our bandwidth grows much faster than our 'need' for it grows, then are we okay? I.e., can we ever have enough bandwidth? Somehow I'm skeptical -- since TCP always attempts to use all available bandwidth. A single TCP flow attempts to create moderate congestion.

--- Mark R. Lindsey Engineers' Consulting Group Office: 229-244-2099x2207; Mobile: 229-630-5553