Re: DUNDi

At 08:07 PM 10/21/2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

> What we could use as a temporary measure is a clearing house for all of
> these ad-hoc zones - oh joy...

isc is willing to operate one of these, perhaps even using our "openreg"
software (an epp-dns system we wrote for our .ORG bid).  however, there
appears to be no large user who would want to use it.  the large users
are still trying to figure out how to keep voip from putting them out
of business, and ENUM doesn't seem to have any cost metrics, it only
shows reachability.  for enterprise use that's fine, but for service
provider and PTT, that's a massive revenue leak.

That is a profound understatement. If you look at Skype alone now with 2Billion + minutes served that is approaching a leak of nearly 1M $ per day and accelerating.

Which is why service providers have never been keen on the deployment of e164.arpa.

I'm increasingly confident we can see progress in +1 in 2005. The LLC is forming. The Canadians have very active discussions going on and showing some real leadership . CIRA ( aka .CA) is offering to host trials in 1.e164.arpa. The regulatory environment could not be better with the FCC and DoC.

SP are beginning to realize that giving customers SIP URI's is a good thing and we now have a variety of soft phone products that support them.

This DUNDi stuff is modestly interesting .. IMHO it really has some uses in private enterprise dial plan / URI management for IP PBX's but beyond that I dont see it..

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>