Re: FW: Questions about tunneltrace

Ron,

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for your comments. See reply below....

Well, you do have a choice - use the mechanism described in
draft-bonica-icmp-mpls-02.txt. This mechanisms does trace through the
user-plane (aka data-plane).

> In order to remain in the user-plane, I would have to send a series of
> datagrams from the head-end of the top-level tunnel to the tail-end of the
> top level tunnel, causing the each datagram to self destruct at a different
> point along the path. Upon destruction, each datagram would elicit some
> feedback that would a) include tunnel details and b) be sent all the way
> back to the head-end of the top-level path.
>
> Isn't that the kind of layer violation that we are trying to avoid?

As "we are trying to avoid" layer violation, we need to keep in
mind the problem that we are trying to solve. So, what is exactly
the problem that we are trying to solve ?

Yakov.