RE: [IP-Optical] concatenation extensions in sonet/sdh

A couple more points.
(1)	GMPLS works well with arbitrary concatenations need to specify the
time slots since it provides a signaling protocol that can do just that,
i.e., GMPLS actually enables this feature to interoperate.
(2)	Arbitrary concatenation offers a solution to a real problem, i.e.,
eliminates the need for re-grooming on lines that support it.  For those who
have invested non-trivial amounts of money in transoceanic links this can be
a significant savings.
(3)	The goal is interoperability and to solve real problems.  We've got
a real problem and with a minor edit to the GMPLS SONET specification we can
have an interoperable method for solving it.

To be precise in the definition of arbitrary concatenation:
As a concatenated signal within a single SONET Line (SDH MS), with
potentially arbitrary timeslots used for its components.

The current main application is: avoiding the need for service impacting
re-grooming. Note that this applies to standard sized signals and is a per
link property.

Other applications do exist and are somewhat competitive with non-LCAS
virtual concatenation since the implementation of arbitrary concatenation
for odd sized signals is simpler than that of virtual concatenation.  Once
"odd" sized signals are used an entire path through the network must exist
that supports them.

Folks I thought the role of standards organizations was to foster
interoperability that enables the industry to move forward rather than as a
means to stifle innovation. I think it is better for the marketplace to
decide which features are desirable.

Greg B.

	Dr. Greg M. Bernstein, Senior Scientist, Ciena