Re: [T1X1.5] RE: [IP-Optical] concatenation extensions in sonet/sdh

Hi Zhi,

Still i don't understand why you want to upgrade all the
boxes when using FACC since it is a Line/MS point-to-point
mechanism ? What's your argument here ? I can use it for
instance for specific LTE-to-LTE "links" within the network.
Do you agree ? And the Eric's explanations provide you the
requested inter-working function. What do you think about ?

- Dimitri

Zhi-Wei Lin wrote:

> Either way, box upgrades are needed.
>
> So, again looking at the differences:
>
> Virtual concat            arbitrary concat
> * Any combo of timeslot   * Any combo of timeslot
> * Each timslot can go on  * All timeslot must go on
>   any # of fiber paths      the same fiber path
> * Only endpoints need     * All boxes need to be
>   to be upgraded            upgraded
> * For interworking with   * Since all boxes need to
>   contiguous concat, only   be upgraded, this is
>   interworking point need   already handled
>   to be upgraded
> * Is already defined in   * To support, there must be
>   standards                 detailed description of the
>                             process so that transport-level
>                             interworking is possible, not
>                             just signal interworking
> * Already has LCAS        * LCAS type capability not yet
>   defined to allow any      defined, but is also possible
>   increase or decrease
>   to timeslot to allow
>   growing and shrinking
>   bandwidth use without
>   disrupting traffic
>
> Did I miss anything??  I like Rob's suggestion on how to handle the
> standard versus "non-standard" features.
>
> Zhi
>
> Dimitri Papadimitriou wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Then you will use the S4 function VC-4-Xc to VC-4-Xv defined in
> > G.783 (more precisely S4-Xc<->S4-Xv_I VC-4-Xc to VC-4-Xv concatenation
> > interworking function - see section 12.5.2) at one edge and the inverse
> > function at the other. However, the mechanisms are different in this
> > case you access the POH while in the mechanism described by Greg you
> > only use a function that converts VC-4-Xc to VC-4-Xa (FACC) you don't
> > access the POH.
> >
> > Hope this help to understand the key difference.
> >
> > - Dimitri.
> >
> > "Lazer, Monica A, NNAD" wrote:
> > >
> > > It is not at all clear to me that those 2 are the only choices. You can do
> > > virtual concatenation at the end-points of the valuable link if you want to
> > > avoid having end systems do that. This would be the standards-compliant
> > > variance of 2. Am I missing something?
> > >
> > > Monica A. Lazer
> > > Advanced Transport Technology and Architecture Planning
> > >
> > > 908 234 8462
> > > mlazer@att.com

begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NSG - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard