RE: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatenation

Maarten,

Does support for provisioning a pre/non-standard feature
necessarily imply a re-definition of SONET/SDH?  As far as
I can tell the authors (and I note that you are an author,
as are a few other familiar names from my ITU and T1X1 days!)
went to at least some lengths to explicitly dispel this notion.

Philosophical discussions notwithstanding, carriers are asking
for (i.e., will PURCHASE), and vendors from ASIC manufacturers
to systems providers are building, what amounts to "non"-standard,
(or perhaps more appropriately "pre"-standard) implementations of
SONET/SDH in current and emerging equipment. Ignore this and the
G.ason/GMPLS specs for SONET/SDH will be on the fast track to
irrelevance.

Why not just acknowledge that not every aspect of provisioning in
the spec is "standard" (and note where this is the case), and, as
Dmitri suggests, work the ITU/T1X1 SONET/SDH spec enhancements in
parallel.  Then, if ITU or T1X1 rejects any of said enhancements,
relegate their signaling to vendor proprietary extensions...this
is the converse of your proposal, but IMO will result in a much
more attractive first version of the GMPLS SONET/SDH draft.

Regards,

Paul