RE: Optical Link Interface

Andre:

I believe you're counting me in the "agnostic" category.
I hope this is not taken as "don't care", since I
do have an interest in making a choice quickly.

I have looked at the LMP-WDM draft (again) and the new
NTIP draft sent by Osama (attached). I see the following:

1. Both these solutions gloss over the details of
   auto-discovery between OXCs and WDM. (Note: the
   issues are the same regardless of the protocol used
   and neither provides full details. Furthermore,
   the hardware requirements and actions under both
   are the same).

2. If we leave out (1), then the other functions are
   based on messaging over the control channel
   between the OXC and the WDM. This messaging
   can be done one way or the other.

3. Both require control channel maintenance using
   (simple) keepalive.

4. It seems LMP-WDM can be streamlined to make it
   more lean and mean.

Unless there is a significant technical issue
of one choice over the other, we have to consider
the fact that LMP-WDM has the first mover advantage.
Is it possible for
the NTIP proponents to seriously consider working on
(3)? Specifically, focus LMP-WDM on OLI requirements
only and not carry any unrelated LMP concepts into
LMP-WDM. Would this satisfy the design motivation for NTIP?

Regards,

Bala

Bala Rajagopalan
Tellium, Inc.