RE: CCAMP WG action items

Hi,

Some comments regarding Bonica's GTTP draft:

1) It relies on IP layer being present and IP management-plane protocol
(ICMPs) for the trace-probes, and trace-response to trace LSPs (layer
violation).
2) It is complicated. It requires many back and forth messages up and down the protocol stack (layer violation) and up and down the path to figure out the trace.
3) In hierarchical LSP case, not only the ingress node of the LSP under test
must run the GTTP, but all ingress LSRs that are in the middle of the LSP
under test and act as tunneling points MUST run GTTP => forklift upgrade required
4) It assumes reachability of all tunnel ingresses and intermediate nodes by the tracing entity. So, for example, all intermediate nodes processing GTTP have IP connectivity to the tracing entity. Therefore it requires homogeneous addressing at any tunnel level. Not necessarily a good thing for inter-carrier tunnels.
5) Does nothing to improve operational effectiveness for operators, ie
no automatic fault detection/handling....customer complaint still has to roll-in.

Yours,
-Shahram