Re: draft-ansorge-ccamp-lmp-sonet-sdh-00.txt

Randy,

> it feels to me that too much of the recent sdh/sonet discussion really
> belongs in the itu.

There is much more SDH/SONET and OTN discussions to come... Performing
connection management for SDH/SONET and OTN requires a detailed
knowledge/understanding of their principles and behaviour. That
knowledge/understanding is present in ITU-T and has to be build up in IETF if
IETF continues its GMPLS development work.

Within the development of IP and MPLS, the cloud below those two layers could be
viewed as a black box realising "layer 1/2" functionality, which provides the
pipes between the IP/MPLS processing elements.

Within the development of GMPLS, the focus is on the details in that "layer 1/2"
cloud.
GMPLS for this cloud is not related in any sense as such to IP or MPLS. It deals
with connection management for LOVC/VT (VC-11/VT1.5, VC-12/VT-2, VC-3), HOVC/STS
(VC-3/STS-1, VC-4/STS-3c, VC-4-4c/STS-12c, ..), ODUk (ODU1, ODU2, ODU3), OCh and
today also "STM-N/OC-N" layers.
If one does not understand the details of those layers, it is very difficult to
develop correct/complete connection management specification; the devil is in
the details...
One could say that GMPLS developpers need to have good knowledge of ITU-T SDH
and OTN and T1 SONET standards; especially the transport architecture, rates and
formats, equipment and management ones.

Regards,

Maarten

Randy Bush wrote:

> > I don't know if it is necessary to redescribe SDH/SONET processing in an
> > IETF document. I would prefer references to the appropriate SDH standards;
> > otherwise you get different specifications and people get confused.
>
> you are being too polite.  it is anethema to redocument sdh/sonet here.
>
> it feels to me that too much of the recent sdh/sonet discussion really
> belongs in the itu.
>
> randy
begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard