Re: AW: AW: VC-4-64c as forwarding adjacency

Manoj,

When the VC-4-64c is used as "FA" it provides e.g. an ATM VP link to the ATM VP
layer network. As such, ATM VP signals are being routed via this ATM VP link
supported by the VC-4-64c trail. So ATM VP labels will be used between nodes A
and D.

     NE A            NE B                 NE C               NE D
|<---------->|<---------------->|<------------------->|<--------------->|

    ||||                                                     ||||
ATM VP Fabric                                            ATM VP Fabric
   ||||||                                                 ||||||
  VC-4-64c                                               VC-4-64c
    port                                                   port
     |                                                      |
     |                                                      |
     |         VC-4-64c Fabric      VC-4-64c Fabric         |
     |           |       ||||        ||||       |           |
  STM-64      STM-64    STM-256     STM-256   STM-64      STM-64
   port        port      port        port      port        port
     |           |        |           |         |           |
     -------------        -------------         -------------

When the ATM equipment at A needs a 10G link with the aTM equipment at D, it
requests a regular VC-4-64c connection between A and D. As the connection
terminates at VC-4-64c ports automatically there is an ATM VP link created. The
ATM VP connection controllers in A and D exchange ATM VP labels to setup ATM VP
connections.

When the Vc-4-64c connection had to be setup, the VC-4-64c connection
controllers in A, B, C and D will exchange VC-4-64c labels.

When the ATM equipment is in a user domain, the interface between nodes A and B
and nodes C and D are UNIs. In that case the VC-4-64c connection controllers in
nodes A and D are replaced by VC-4-64c call controllers. Then the interactions
are between calling/called party call controllers (in nodes A and D) and network
call controllers, and network call controller and connection controllers in
nodes B and C.

As you see there is no notion of FA needed.

Regards,

Maarten

manoj juneja wrote:

> Hi Marteen,
>             Agreed. VC-4-64c connection can be advertised as a FA and
> can carry IP/ATM or ethernet traffic.
>
> Now take the case where multiple LSPs are to be tunneled through the
> VC-4-64c connection (FA-LSP).
> What about the label ? What type of label the tail end of VC-4-64c FA
> -LSP i.e. node D will pass to the node A (i.e. head end of vc-4-64c FA
> -LSP) ?
> The LSP encoding and switching types are different for FA-LSP and the
> LSP which is to be tunneled through the FA-LSP.
>
> Regards,
> manoj.
>
> >From: Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com>
> >To: "'manoj juneja'" <manojkumarjuneja@hotmail.com>
> >CC: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
> >Subject: Re: AW: AW: VC-4-64c as forwarding adjacency
> >Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:24:32 +0100
> >
> >Manoj,
> >
> >In transport terminology I would refer to this as a VC-4-64c trail
> >supporting an
> >IP, ATM or Ethernet link.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Maarten
> >
> >Heiles Juergen wrote:
> > >
> > > Manoj,
> > >
> > > this has nothing to do with forwarding adjacency. It is a restriction of
> >the transport plane. A VC-4 cannot be transported in a VC-4-64c. A VC-4-64c
> >supports IP, ATM, Ethernet as client signal, but not a VC-4 or
> >VC-3/2/12/11.
> > > So you can have a VC-4-64c forwarding adjacency for IP, ATM or Ethernet
> >clients.
> > >
> > > Juergen

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard