Re: GMPLS signaling documents updated per last calls

Dimitri Papadimitriou wrote:

> Maarten,

> The agreement "we have a satisfactory solution but not the one proposed
> by Maarten/Stephen/etc." so this discussion for me is closed ... but i
> think that some people would like to see THEIR OWN solution into the
> document the reason is clear for me introduce their own view on the
> protocol architecture for distributed control plane restricting us to
> use the complexities they have introduced in their own model... sorry
> but this was not the aim of the last IETF meeting discussion.

This is almost funny. The whole debate is about getting rid of unnessary
and restrictive complexity in your current solution.

> > It is not only a matter of the signal type field in the draft, it is also a
> > matter of how the network is monitored/operated. A SONET signal is not
> > always 100% compatible with an SDH signal. It depends on the profile used in
> > SDH and SONET. For sure there are different profiles for SONET and SDH (e.g.
> > differences in overhead: SS bit, J0, S1, J1, B3, G1, etc). We understood
> > that there is a join effort between T1 and ITU to reduce these differences,
> > but you cannot assume that everybody will adapt to/implement the latest
> > (draft) version of the transport plane standards.
>
> I would like also to remember here that our target is to achieve an
> efficient and interoperable running code, we don't target state of

Given your current solution, I can only wish you well

> the art transmission system modelling "theory" since in practice state
> of the art models are rarely applicable in the real world.

Good models are taken from the real world - the one that some of us have
worked with for many years. Its hard to see how such models don't apply.
(Remember the new economy - the old models didn't apply)

> ... these remarks translates the problem of people working only from
> the "theoretical" viewpoint without any pragmatic view on the reality.

Well Dimitri, if you can't deal with Maarten's arguments, at least you
can try and call him names.

> For all, if you take a look at the complexity introduced by this model,
> call/discovery then connection i more than 100% sure that we are on the
> right track here BY KEEPING THINGS SIMPLE.

Again, the best I can do is wish you well with your "simple" model

Have a Merry Xmas

Regards

	George