Re: [idn] time to move

> I don't have a whole lot of 3Mb/sec Type I Ethernet lying about these
> days (see above).

perhaps not.  but the folks I know where were using IP over 3Mb/sec
Ethernet are still using IP.  IPv4 is starting to look obsolete due
to a shortage of addresses, but I don't know anyone who thinks it's
going to be discarded anytime soon.

> Isn't the line of march of uniqueness and consistency and so forth predicated
> upon the inexistence of ... "island(s)", and the non-deployment of utf8?

it's predicated on the non-deployment of utf-8 *in Internet applications*
*at the time the IDN solution is deployed*.  it is currently the case
that few Internet applications support utf-8, and this isn't likely to
change in the near future.

if you want to wait until everything else  is using utf-8 before deploying
IDNs that use utf-8, feel free.  I suspect that most of us don't want
to wait that long.  I also suspect that the fastest way to get to having
applications use utf-8 natively (if that's even worth the trouble)
is to use ACE IDNs in the near term.

Keith