Re: [idn] IDN eamples for testing

At 10:29 23/03/2003 -0500, Edmon Chung wrote:
You will not misinterpret me if you include my words in entirety and not try
to take anything out of context.
IDN challenges is not a simple issue James, and definitely it does not boil
down to any yes or no question.  Please do not create a fake sense of
simplicity for the community.  There is a multitude of issues and you know
as well as I do and many in this list that it is critical for the success of
IDNs for more people to understand those challenges.  I personally is quite
passionate to see that IDN is successfully deployed and used.

By the way, there is a discussion at ICANN on IDN Registry implementation, I
am not sure if this is also the right forum to discuss implementation.  Does
the people in this group think this is the right place also to discuss these
issues?  (it will include character equivalence preparation issues, and
since this group have rightly dismissed the discussion for the sake of the
"protocol", I am not sure if we should raise this dead horse from the ground
in this list)... what do people think?...
Hi Edmon, James and All,

I think that as IDN moves towards implementation there will be a number of transitional systems deployed which help make the jump. IDN is quite a complex system where not all the problems have been resolved and a large amount of software still requires modification. Along that road there will be marketing speak, and the purity of the standard may not survive the commercial pressures which have to arise if IDN is to be successfully deployed and adopted worldwide. Please can we all try to work to this end without too much point scoring on all sides? Commercial ventures have their place and it is commerce which funds the Internet.

In relation to ICANN's proposed IDN Discussion group I raised this matter at the last RIPE in the CENTR DNR Forum. Whilst discussion is always useful I do not regard ICANN as the forum for the discussions of standards implementation. ICANN has enough problems without widening its remit.

Regards

Stephen Dyer