Re: [idn] IDN eamples for testing

At 16:54 24/03/03, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
There is no standard for RACE; of course any use of it is non-conformant.
1. "xn--" that many understand as "christian", others as "xenophobe" and is the European sign for bad things, does not conform to the standard as it is not meaningless and should have been removed from the list before the random choice.

2. I wander why ACE is RACE format ("cc--") compliant, while most of the babel name issue would disapear if the ACE label had used a "c--c" format fopr example.

- "x--n" would not have had any particular meaning
- "x--nibm.com" is far less appealing to babelsquatters than "xn--ibm.com"

For that two reasons, I would strongly suggest that the "xn--" format would be changed into "x--n" before it is carved into distributed code. I know that engineers will laught at that stupid proposition, but that laught will at least be in the records.
jfc