[idn] Searching for IDN free software implementations (Perl and Java)

Hello,

Since http://www.i-d-n.net/ is terribly outdated, I'm looking for help
here.

We plan to register IDNs "soon" in ".fr". Our legacy software is in
Perl and Java. I need IDN "free as in free speech, not free as in free
beer" implementations for both.

For Perl, I could write a XS to the excellent GNU libidn or to MDNkit
but I hope someone else did it before the lazy guy I am. The
implementation in <URL:http://www.imc.org/nameprep/> is quite outdated
and I wonder if I can reasonably use it?

For Java, one (not me) could use the JNI to call GNU libidn but I
would prefer a native Java solution, easing the deployment to various
platforms without recompilation.

Any advice? ("Reprogram everything in Python" is a good advice but
unrealistic, I'm afraid.)