[idn] [SUMMARY] Searching for IDN free software implementations (Perl and Java)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:08:32PM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote
 a message of 20 lines which said:

> We plan to register IDNs "soon" in ".fr". Our legacy software is in
> Perl and Java. I need IDN "free as in free speech, not free as in free
> beer" implementations for both.

Solutions I've found:

Java) Verisign GRS distributes a SDK (Software Development Kit) to its
registrars. It includes a full IDN (RFC 3490 and friends)
implementation in Java. It seems well written and documented. There is
no public site for the distribution, if you are not a Verisign
registrar, you have to ask Verisign for a copy. The licence is BSD
(without the ad clause).

ICU for Java <URL:http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/index.html> will
include IDN in a future version.

Perl) Paul Hoffman's test tool is written in Perl, and free. It is not
a ready-to-use, shrinkwrapped library (for instance, there are
hardcoded paths in the code). Requires Perl >=
5.8. <URL:http://www.imc.org/idna/>

For Perl, we'll try to develop an XS interface, allowing to use GNU
libidn, written in C.