Re: RFC3637 ETHER-WIS MIB module name

On 2 Oct 2003, Frank Strauss wrote:
> Is it a bug or a feature that the ETHER-WIS MIB (RFC 3637) is named
> ETHER-WIS and not ETHER-WIS-MIB?
>
> draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02 suggests in Appendix C names
> of the form XXX-MIB.
>
> Sorry for my talent to ask questions too late. :-/ I found no easily
> searchable mailinglist archive to answer this question myself.

I don't think the question was ever discussed, either by the WIS
design team or on the Hub MIB WG mailing list ... at any rate my
personal archive does not contain any such discussion.

As for the history, ETHER-WIS was the module name that Mike Ayers
chose in an early WG draft, and I left it as-is when I took over the
editing duties.  The recommendations on module names in the MIB
review guidelines came somewhat later.  I never changed the name
because no one asked me to and because it did not seem to me to be
a very important issue.

Mike