Re: Proposed "Last Call" version of draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines [ Corrected, for the 2nd time ]

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:10:15PM -0800, C. M. Heard wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Dave Thaler wrote:
> > The current guidelines doc says:
> >
> > 4.6.1.7.  IpAddress
> >
> >    The IpAddress type described in RFC 2578 Section 7.1.5 SHOULD NOT be
> >    used in new MIB modules.  The InetAddress/InetAddressType textual
> >    conventions [RFC3291bis] SHOULD be used instead.
> >
> > Proposed additional sentence:
> >
> >    The IpAddress type MAY be used in cases where the object is inherently
> >    IPv4-specific and is either a scalar or appears in a table which is
> >    only applicable to IPv4.
>
> I can live with this, if there is consensus that it is OK.

If we specifically allow IpAddress, why should we limit that to scalars
or columnar object? I therefore suggest to simplify and generalize the
statement:

	The IpAddress type MAY be used in cases where the object is
	inherently IPv4-specific.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany