IpAddress text in draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
> Mmmm... RFC2578 (sect 7.5) says:
>
> 7.1.5.  IpAddress
>
>    The IpAddress type represents a 32-bit internet address.  It is
>    represented as an OCTET STRING of length 4, in network byte-order.
>
>    Note that the IpAddress type is a tagged type for historical reasons.
>    Network addresses should be represented using an invocation of the
>    TEXTUAL-CONVENTION macro [3].
>
> So why do we want to suggest that it can be OK to use this type?
> The SHOULD allows for exceptions, and that seems good enuf for me.
> We are talking about NEW MIB modules, right?

Yes.  The current text says:

4.6.1.7.  IpAddress

   The IpAddress type described in RFC 2578 Section 7.1.5 SHOULD NOT be
   used in new MIB modules.  The InetAddress/InetAddressType textual
   conventions [RFC3291bis] SHOULD be used instead.

My reading of the discussion is that we do not have consensus to change
this.  If I am mistaken, please set me straight.  Otherwise the text
will stay as it is.

Mike