RE: Backwards compatability with existing IPv6

> At 09:16 06/04/01, Jim.Bound@nokia.com wrote:
> >The pipeline for deployment of IPv6 that account reps use is started
>
> ...but essentially empty today with negligible visible demand
> outside of certain Japanese procurements...

The demand is for the 3GPP trials and they are in Europe and Asia. They are
looking for product commitment today and vendors are meeting that
commitment.  The pipeline has started and investments have been made in
stacks.

> >In
> >addition the 3GPP vendors have Serving GPRS Support Nodes
> (SGSN), Gateway
> >GPRS Support Nodes (GGSN), and Routers built.
>
>         But the 3GPP operators are short of capital, due to
> paying too much for RF spectrum, so have generally delayed
> rollouts until at earliest late 2002.

It was always late 2002 but trials and interoperability will start now.
Delays are not official but I agree most likely.

> >3GPP product sets will be built before this working group is done.
>
>         A meaningless tautology as I don't expect this WG
> is any more likely to halt than IPng WG.

True in that context.  But that was not my context.  My context was the
invesment in stacks is real.  A change will take time to absorb new features
as it will with anything new from any IETF new IPv6 work.

/jim