Re: Backwards compatability with existing IPv6 [was: Re: Networklayer reqt? [was Re: Transport level multihoming]]

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Thomas Narten wrote:

> > Considering that there virtualy is NO install base of IPv6, we
> > can assume anything.
>
> This is a point we'll discuss for a long time I'm sure, but I believe
> it is impractical to assume there is no installed base and thus we are
> free to do anything. The reality is that there are IPv6 products (for

To paraphrase Mike O'Dell - Installed base? What installed base?

If the take rate of v6 starts to approach that of historical growth rate
of v4, then what installed base is a very valid question to ask. 100x
todays v6 installed base is ~ 4 doublings and thats a year worth of growth
in V4 space.

/vijay