Re: Transport level multihoming

One question.

In a transport level multihoming scenario, should two addresses that differ in
the lower 64 bits (node address part) be considered independent nodes and
handled in the traditional manner with regard to multiple addresses?

Why I ask is that the upper 64 bits of all possible full addresses for a
particular node that is multihomed have particular properties that would be
useful to exploit in transport level multihoming.  If the lower 64 bits is not
identical between multiple addresses, it could lead to inefficiencies in a
compressed representation of the list of IPv6 addresses.  It may also be
important to some layers of any multihoming protocol to consider that addresses
which differ in the lower 64 bits would not being equivalent for the purposes
of multihoming.

This probably smacks of 8+8 or GSD but I'm just seeking a clarification of what
the current accepted wisdom might be.

Peter

--
Peter R. Tattam                            peter@trumpet.com
Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd