Re: Transport level multihoming

ramki;

> If 8+8 or GSE or some such is used, this would preclude a transport-level
> or app-level
> solution because we don't want routers to modify addresses in the payload
> as well. That leaves us only with network-level solutions.
>
> Is there anything wrong in the argument?

First, you are confusing 8+8 and GSE.

GSE is certainly a variation of 8+8 but is a poor proposal
violating the end to end priciple at leastin two ways.

Secondly, 8+8 (even including GSE) is a proposal that applicaion/transport
identify hosts by lower 8 bytes only.

So, its OK for upper layers if some intermediate entity modify upper
8 bytes of source and/or destination address.

While modification by routers of GSE is not a good idea, modification
of upper 8 bytes of destination addresss can remove tunelling
of some protocol.

							Masataka Ohta