RE: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to
  miss and therefore delete mis-posts.  so fix subscription addresses! ]

Back when we were doing the CIDR work, we asked a bunch of
ISPs and they came back with about 10% of their customer
base being multihomed.  And typically, the second
provider wasn't part of the sample, so that we felt that
about 10% of all enterprises were multihomed.

During the bubble, it looked like that number was increasing,
but post-bubble, I'd make the educated guess that it's
back to 10%.  This may well increase as more enterprises
find that the net is mission critical to them.

A side point: another result that we got from CIDR is that
even at 10% of the enterprises being multihomed, that their
contribution to the DFZ tables would come to dominate the
size of the table and push us back into exponential growth
extremely quickly.  Or, another way of looking at it is
that when you have exponential growth, dividing the problem
by 10 only gets you about one growth cycle of relief.  It
doesn't solve the issue entirely.

Will homes, academia and non-enterprises multihome?  Some
academic sites already are.  I know of some sick netgeeks
who are already multihomed.  All of it hangs in the balance
between the economic cost and the perception of mission
critical importance.

Bottom line: we need a multihoming solution that allows
the DFZ table to scale reasonably even if everyone is multihomed.
Because that might happen and the net must continue to work.

Tony

p.s. In the past I have certainly been an opponent to IPv6.
However, my position has changed somewhat.  I can see the
pressure to go down the IPv6 path and I would like to see
some good come out of the exercise.  If v6 turns out to be
simply v4 with a bigger address space but it still collapses
due to the poor routing architecture, then we will have
failed miserably.  So I am pushing for scalability for the
routing layer and hoping that we don't make the same mistakes
again.  -- t