Transport multihoming

Greg, Peter,

As I see it, the reason to have the multihoming functionality inside one
or more transport protocols is that the transport layer has end-to-end
knowledge that makes it possible to make better multihoming decisions.

Would it be possible to have a modified TCP talk to a non-modified TCP
through some kind of "mudem" (multihomer/demultihomer), without loss of
the core multihoming functionality, and without the "mudem" having to
keep long-term state?

This would create a much more attractive deployment path as people can
choose to either upgrade hosts or put them behind a box to provide the
multihoming functionality.

It also makes it possible to move the multihoming decision making to a
place where it can be better controlled if this is desired.

Iljitsch (or just call me dr. Frankenstein)