Re: PI/metro/geo [Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development]

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> > Very few non-ISP organizations do this, as it requires them to move
> > traffic over their internal network which costs money, while receiving
> > the traffic where it eventually needs to be usually doesn't cost more
> > than receiving it at any other location.

> Our samples spaces must be different.  I think that many non-ISP
> organisations
> multi-home via different providers on either sides of North America.

It is certainly possible we're seeing different things from the places
we're sitting. But the real question isn't whether they _connect_ on
opposite ends of a continent or ocean, but whether they need to announce
a globally visible route in both locations. This is only absolutely
necessary if they prefer traffic to flow over their internal network
rather than over an ISP network. It is also desireable for backup
purposes but I feel this isn't an important enough reason to allow it.