RE: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Hesham Soliman (EAB) wrote:

>   > If the level of trust is zero to begin with, there should
>   > be no problem extending this "trust" so a third party.

> => Is this an argument for global PKI? Presumably
> this protocol would work between arbitray sites?

No, this is an argument for not building elaborate security mechanisms
when there is nothing to secure. If someone who I don't know visits my
web site or connects to my mail server, and then halfway through the
session the connection is transferred to another IP addres, why would I
care? The only time this is dangerous would be when I communicate with a
trusted host but if this trusted host tells me it has another address
then presumably, I should trust this information as well. Obviously
things are different when someone at an address I don't know tells me
she is a trusted host. Then she has to present credentials.

>   > I'm sure we can work all of this out when
>   > there is something concrete on the table.

> => I don't think this will be a trivial task.

No, but that doesn't mean we have to start with this part.  :-)

Iljitsch