Multihoming and IPv6 Multicast

The requirements of Reverse Path Forwarding checks make multihoming in IPv4 multicast an operational issue which requires a good deal of care. When multicast providers peer at multiple points, some hand-tuning of the routing is required to ensure path symmetry.

The multi6 charter does not explicitly mention multicast multihoming for IPv6. However, I don't see how any solution could be adopted which does not address this issue. Making multihoming for multicast in IPv6 easier than in IPv4 is good; making it no harder is essential.

Michael

| Michael H. Lambert, Network Engineer Phone: +1 412 268-4960 |
| Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center FAX: +1 412 268-8200 |
| 4400 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 lambert@psc.edu |