Re: enterprise multihoming with ISP consortiums

Darrell Root;

> I have an idea regarding multihoming.  The idea is that
> groups of 2 or more ISP's can, at their option, form a
> consortium to support multihoming.  In addition to each
> ISP's individual /32 (or larger) allocation, the registries
> would allocate the consortium a shared /32.

Assuming there are N ISPs, if all the possible pairs of them form
the consortiums, O(N^2) routing tables are necessary.

Triple or more homing makes it worse.

> Running through the multihoming requirements document:

Thank you for your proof that the requirement document is useless.

> To maintain the long-term stability of the internet,
> the trick is to allow consortiums to exist (to support
> enterprise multihoming needs while maintaining a
> competitive environment) but minimizing their number.
> I'm open to suggestions regarding how to do this.

There is none.

						Masataka Ohta