Re: enterprise multihoming with ISP consortiums

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:25:53AM -0800, Darrell Root wrote:
> 3.2.1) Scalability.  This is a complicated evaluation.
> The number of routes in the DFZ zone will now be
> the sum of the number of ISP's plus the number of
> consortiums.

Plus each ISP would have the number of routes in each consortium
that the ISP is a member of.  A big ISP would tend towards having
all of them.

> In the worst case, every possible
> combination of ISP's could be a consortium

I suspect that this will be more the case as its the end site that
get to decide which ISPs they want to connect to; not the ISPs.
And ISPs are not that great at doing cooperation.

Also note that every time an end site wanted to change their mix
of providers, they would have to change their consortium and thus
would have to renumber.

And note that a consortium means not only a common set of multihomed
customers, but also a forced interconnection agreement between ISPs.
I suspect that this later part will not fly in practice.

	--asp