RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

Pekka,

This is an interesting draft, thanks for submitting.
I do like the fact that it does indeed try to limit the number of
prefixes announced but I think it's a terrible idea at the moment,
though.

This would create a terrible precedent. In the long run, we can expect:
- People that have swamp space lobbying for v6 PI also, on the grounds
that if people that have an ASN get v6 PI space they should get it too.
Actually, swamp space holders have on paper a better reason than ASN
holders to get v6 PI space.
- AS numbers being extended to 32 bits. Then people that get ASNs above
64k will also strongly lobby to get PI on the grounds that it's not fair
that early adopters only get it.

If we had no other choice, I would support this as being not as bad as
unrestricted PI. But it's still unaggregatable, and we do have a better
choice: GAPI.

If we come to the point where the community decides that indeed the
deployment of IPv6 is being hindered by the lack of a solution (and
we're not there yet), we could then discuss about adding a clause to
GAPI that limits the initial allocations to organizations that already
have an ASN.

Michel.

From: Pekka Savola [mailto:pekkas@netcore.fi]
Hello,
I've sent a short draft (7 pages) to Internet-Drafts for publication.
I propose an automatic allocation of /48, /40 or /32 (based on how the
community feels) of PI addresses if you have an AS number.
A 16-bit AS number in the range 1 - 2^15, that is.  This is just to
enable
IPv6 multihoming temporarily, until another mechanism is devised, to
those
end-sites that already do it today.  This is kind of a "stop those lame
excuses now, please" -solution.
Note: personally, I think ASN-PI like this is not a good idea, but it's
at
least better than some others, like breaking aggregates or doing stuff
like that -- this is controlled, after a fashion.
Until publication, it's available at:
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-multi6-asn-pi-00.txt
And the abstract is:
   In IPv6, the current IPv4 site multihoming practises have been
   operationally disabled, to prevent a creation of an unmanageable
   swamp of more specific routes.  Some argue that the lack of a
   comprehensive site multihoming solution is hindering the deployment
   of IPv6.  This memo presents a few proposals for end-sites with
   autonomous system (AS) number to be able to derive a provider
   independent block of addresses from the first half of the 16-bit AS-
   number space.  This could enable a temporary IPv6 site multihoming
   solution for those that already employ similar mechanisms in IPv4.