RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

Tim / Pekka,

>>> Tim Chown wrote:
>>> And presumably these are a bigger hit on the DFZ routing
>>> table size than multihomers?

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> I don't think so, it more a matter of creating the precedent
>> then real savings on the routing table size.

> OK, I beleive you, but would be interested in any stats in this area?

Sure, but keep reading.

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> I'd like to hear a specific definition of this, so we could _have_
> stats. Do you mean announcing a more specific route from different
> origin AS than the aggregate?  Do you you want to restrict that to
> address blocks allocated by RIR's somehow, etc.?
> I've actually done some analysis on a portion of the routing table
> to look for multihoming; extracting this info, if defined, might
> not be a problem.

I don't think that the real number actually matters. Is it 10k? 20k?
30k? nobody cares because in 3 or 4 years if we have 30k routes to deal
with it would not be a problem for any decent router.

The problem is that we would have opened the gates of hell by giving
away PI to a certain category of users and that everyone else and their
dog will want one too and the issue is dealing with a billion routes in
10 years.

Michel.