RE: Geo pros and cons

Hi Tony

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 20:39, Tony Li wrote:
> Marcelo,
>
> Yes, there are regions where geo addressing makes sense.  Here
> in the SF bay area, where it's hard not to trip over all of
> the fiber that we have lying around, it would play out
> beautifully.  Theoretically.
>
> However, even in this location, where we have multiple
> interconnect points, we can observe that the local ISPs do
> not choose to connect at all of the interconnects.  Some
> are at Fix-W, some at Equinix, some at PAIX, etc....  Even
> in this environment we are not yet at the point where geo
> addressing would not require us to force particular links to
> be installed.

This is my question. do you have some data about the real topology that
indicates that even in areas where the interconnection is dense there
are still unconnected peers?

I agree with you in this point and I am certainly not suggesting forcing
the existence of links, just some sort of opportunistic usage of geo
aggregation. In areas where the interconnection exists, evaluate the
possibility of using geo addressing. If within the geo area the
interconnection is partitioned, just don't use it

Regards, marcelo