Re: Geo pros and cons

On woensdag, apr 2, 2003, at 01:38 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:

|    Now obviously it is possible to lease a circuit to a
|    remote location
|    and connect to "the internet" in that location rather than
|    close to home.

Since this happens all too frequently, we must deal with it.
Sure. But I say we deal with it as an exceptional situation that may require additional resources rather than accept this as regular so regular mechanisms must be able to fullly support this.

The Internet is not a centrally run function.  Instead it grows
organically by the needs of the users.  In other words, the links
only show up where they make economic sense.
Being routable makes economic sense.

If the routes are proportional to the number of areas and the areas
are growing, then you again have a rapidly growing routing table.
The routes are proportional to the number of users in an area. I assert that for areas above a certain minimum geographic size, the number of users in an area is fairly constant.

As we concluded many years ago: for addressing to scale, it has
to match the topology.  If addressing does not match the topology,
then additional information in the form of longer prefixes must be
advertised into the routing subsystem.  Ergo, if one chooses geographic
address, one must force only geographically based links.
Aggregation isn't a binary thing. CIDR can aggregate PA address space but not PI address space. Before CIDR, PI was the norm but now it's quite rare. With geographical aggregation the same will happen: in the beginning, aggregation will be limited. But unlike CIDR, you don't have to renumber to start aggregating: when a new local or regional link becomes available, you immediately gain aggregation.

Also, the requirement for "geographically based links" doesn't have to be all that bad. If network A wants to handle the Italy geo region in Milan, but network B wants to do this in Chicago, they can use a "geographically based link" to peer between A's Milan router and B's Chicago router. With something like ATM or MPLS this is easy to implement.

Anything
else destroys the aggregatability of the address assignment.  Since
we, as IETF members, cannot decree where folks will connect, geo
addressing is a nice theorectical goal which is unimplementable.
I agree that geographic aggregation doesn't look all that good in theory, and that it lacks long term scalability. However, it's still much, much better than "straight PI" where we know the potential for aggregation is 0. For geo, we know the potential for aggregation is less than 1, but at least it's more than 0. So in the absense of better short-term solutions (unless you include forbidding multihoming as a short term "solution") and considering the fact that this can be implemented relatively painlessly, I think it is worth it.