Re: updating GSE for the new millennium

Brian,

There would only be a dependency if the servers providing the mapping lookup table were inside the site being mapped. This is probably something it would be best to avoid (as the doctor says, "don't do that"). Numbering the device that provides the mapping out of aggregation locator space would be a way to avoid this. Other ways exist.

Note that I am not against using some other mechanism than something like the DNS that provides the same "data pull" functionality. Nor am I against "data push". As I said, both have advantages and disadvantages. What is more interesting to me is whether or not the idea of implementing identity/locator separation by rewriting at the borders has legs.

Rgds,
-drc