RE: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir

|    >> 1) Rewriting addresses in the site exit routers
|    deprives smart hosts
|    >> from the capacity to select their preferred return path;
|
|    > To be sure I understand, you are saying that my laptop
|    should have the
|    > ability to make a decision as to what ISP Microsoft uses
|    to route
|    > packets back to me?
|
|    Just because that's the way it's done today doesn't mean it has to
|    continue to be done like that in the future.

If you follow this argument a bit further, the number of possible
paths internal to the core explodes.  There is no way to completely
specify the path of a packet without a connection oriented setup
protocol.  Further, unless one wants to sever the loose coupling
between the routing subsystem and the host, it's not going to be
possible to specify even a partial path.

Frankly, there's no way to reasonably support a host path selection
feature in the Internet architecture.

Tony