Re: Mutli6 meeting in Vienna

Instead we will try and have an overview of solution classes. Most work seems to be done with loc/id separation and Christians host-based solutions. For the time being this is where I think we should spend time at the meeting.
I've been trying to come up with a useful approach for this for a while. We really have to get this right because if this turns out to be a huge shouting match or nap time, it's the end of multi6.
I think that we will need some discussions (I don't like shouting). I to some extent think that is unavoidable with the number of proposals out there. However, after the discussions we also need to decide on the way forward.

How about this: if everyone says what proposals they feel are worth working on. Then we can discuss those proposals. It seems likely the proposals that many people want to work on have some promise. I think this is a good way to get around "this proposal sucks" "no it's great" type of discussions. The other advantage is that it limits the number of "active" proposals significantly. For instance, my geo stuff doesn't require work but simply adoption :-) so there is no need to go over it.
Ok, stay tuned for suggested agenda to come.

Mobility and HIP have their home elsewhere, so those don't have to be discussed either, apart from maybe send an annotated copy of the requirements to those groups to make this stuff work well with multihoming.
Agreed.

So that leaves the whole locator/identifier thing. A few questions about that:
My views

- on what layer do we want to do this?
IP

- can we break applications?
if break=modify, we might be forced to.

- can we break transport protocols?
see previous.

- can we break autoconfiguration?
yes.

- can we break IP?
yes

- can we break IPsec?
isn't that transport?

- where can we add state?
As little as possible.

- can it be done without state?
Remains to be seen.

- do we need a discovery protocol?
Discovery of?

- do we need a negotiation protocol?
Negotiation of what?

Unfortunately we have some catching up to do and having all proposals presented would take up very much time, without us moving on.
Everyone should read the drafts.
First they need to be submitted..:-)

- kurtis -