Re: Mutli6 meeting in Vienna

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Thierry Ernst wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. More below.
> > I think the charter is pretty clear "A multihomed site is a site that
> > has more than one connection to the
> > public internet with those connections through either the same or
> > different ISPs."
> >
> > The draft says "A "multihomed" site is one with more than one transit
> > provider. "Site-multihoming" is the practice of arranging a site to be
> > multihomed.".
> >
> > I don't see a conflict between these two
>
> OK, my concern was about the Charter saying "either the same or
> different ISPs" while the draft says "more than one ISP".
>
> This sounds conflicting to me and I don't know how many prefixes my
> site-multihomed network is supposed to have.
>
> > > I need this question because I would like to know if, say, a mobile
> > > network deployed in a vehicle can be considered a "site".
> > >
> > and I would say that the answer to your question is yes?
>
> Well, that first depends on the first question (same ISPs or not) and
> then I would like to know where my prefix(es) come from.
>
> Is there any restriction on the length of the prefix for a network to be
> considered site-multihomed ?

"Site multihoming" to one provider (called site multiconnecting in the v4
draft) is basically a no-brainer, AFAIK.  Is there something here which
leads you to believe we need to work on this?

We could push multi-connecting as a solution/workaround for some use cases
though.  IMO, that makes perfect sense to me, but at the same time, it
cannot meet *all* the sites' needs, so we need something else too.